The research, conducted on behalf of six of the UK’s leading mobile applications companies shows that, despite the emergence of a whole host of content and services on the mobile phone, men are much more likely to use their phones to listen to music and browse the Internet than women. Only 33 percent of women have used their mobile phone to surf compared to 47 percent of men.
The six organisations involved in developing the study are all pioneers in the development of lifestyle applications for the mobile phone and have developed six mobile applications designed to make life easier and more fun for women.
The companies involved are Mills and Boon/ICUE; Lastminute.com/Cool Gorilla; LocatioNet; The Light Agency; Pocket Group and Singtones. Their innovative mobile lifestyle tools are listed below.
Lifestyle Applications for the Mobile Phone:
- Lastminute.com and Cool Gorilla have launched a new mobile phrasebook, perfect for those moments when you’re desperate to find your hotel, order a coffee or flirt with the locals.
- LocatioNet’s amAze application enables mobile phone users to access clear maps, route-planning, weather forecasts and local search information from anywhere in the UK, so you’ll never be lost again!
- Mills and Boon is giving lovers of romantic fiction everywhere the option to download books straight onto their mobile phones: perfect for those journeys into work and for poolside reading.
- PocketDoctor offers daily advice on topics such as giving up smoking, dieting or as a reminder service for people taking regular medication. Your mobile phone can become the doctor in your pocket.
- Shop, Scan, Save is a revolutionary way to save money by receiving discount vouchers that can be used in your local shops.
- Singtones allows you to sing your own ringtone, with the added benefit that using ReVoice Singtone technology they will make you sound in tune every time – you will be guaranteed a unique ringtone.