According to Marketing & Media Ecosystem 2010, a groundbreaking joint study of the IAB, ANA (Association of National Advertisers), AAAA (American Association of Advertising Agencies), and management consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton, more than 90 percent of marketers indicated they planned to increase marketing spend in digital, despite barriers including insufficient metrics, lack of organization support, and lack of experience in the new media.
The marketer research is the first phase of a three-part study in which IAB, ANA, AAAA and Booz Allen are collaborating. In the next phase, Booz Allen and the IAB will survey media companies to learn how they are adapting their organizations, capabilities and relationships to the needs of digital transformation. An agency research phase also is planned.
“The initial findings of this study confirm what we at the IAB have been hearing and saying: More and more marketers as well as agencies and others across the industry have embraced the reality that interactive is the fulcrum on which their brand strategies need to be based,” said Randall Rothenberg, President and CEO of the IAB.
“Ongoing IAB initiatives creating standards for rich internet applications and exploring interactive audience measurement are just two examples of ways we are helping marketers navigate this new and complex landscape.”
IAB Drives Industry Growth, Announces Important Industry News
The IAB has announced several industry milestones in October, delivering on its mission to deliver solutions to the interactive industry through improving accountability and operational efficiency for IAB member companies and their partners.
Here are some of the highlights of the critical industry work undertaken by the IAB’s Industry Services group:
- The final guidelines for ad impression measurement in Rich Internet
Application (RIA) environments were released. These guidelines specifically address online browser or browser-equivalent based Internet activity, where page content changes and ad serving are no longer linked. The guidelines are applicable to Internet media companies and ad-serving organizations.
- The “Game Advertising Platform Status Report,” the first in a series
of papers focused on the current state of emerging and existing platforms within the interactive advertising industry. This report provides a detailed overview of the current state of advertising in and around video games. To showcase the variety of games, advertising formats and insights for successful campaigns the Committee will host a seminar for agencies and marketers on November 6 in New York City,
- This month the IAB challenged lead generation advertisers to adopt the recently released “Lead Generation Data Transfer Best Practices” by April 1, 2008.The goal of the document, issued by the IAB in August of this year, is to standardize the transfer and receipt of data between advertisers and lead generation service providers in order to safeguard consumer data and improve operational efficiency for the $1.3 billion lead generation category.
- The On-Time Delivery Toolkit, designed to increase advertising agencies’ ability to deliver creative on time and to spec, was launched and consists of two tools developed by the IAB and representatives of key advertising agencies. It combines the web-based Creative Specs Database with the Creative Delivery Best Practices document which is designed for use by marketers, agencies, and publishers as the basis for internal process improvement.
– The Billing Methods Best Practices document provides recommendations for how agencies and publishers work together to resolve discrepancies in billing methods.
The IAB closed this year’s highly successful MIXX Conference and Expo with the third annual MIXX Awards. Senior leaders from marketing, advertising and media companies celebrated the teams and talent that have pushed interactive to unprecedented achievement. This year’s extraordinary breadth of creativity is a testament to the interactive industry’s unprecedented growth. This year’s submissions jumped by 40% and were sent in from the leading agencies and marketers across all vertical platforms.