The latest figures show that too many used car buyers are being duped by crafty fraudsters out to make a quick profit, says www.hpicheck.com Senior Consumer Services Manager, Shane Teskey. Online car buying is fast and convenient, but it also gives scammers somewhere to hide. Some fraudsters even manage to take money for cars that are advertised online, but dont actually exist. Once the seller has the money they disappear and the buyer is left with no car and no money.
Online sellers will often come across as friendly, offering to make the sale as easy as possible, while at the same time offering a bargain. This makes it very tempting for buyers to rush into a purchase. We urge them to use their head, not their heart, and conduct all the right checks before parting with their money. The good news is the HPI Check can offer vital protection from unscrupulous sellers, and it is quick and easy to do, giving instant results so you dont have to delay any decision.
HPIs Top Tips for Online Used Car Buying
- Shop Around: compare prices on the car you’re considering through other classified website so you get a feel for the marketplace. These sites will give you an idea of the price you can expect to pay for a particular make and model. If you find a vehicle that appears to be cheap, you need to find out why, and be on your guard.
- Verify the Seller’s Credibility: check out the seller’s history by reviewing the ratings from other sellers to ensure you’re dealing with someone who will deliver the car according to the terms you are offered.
- Narrow Down the Options: create a short list and do an HPI Check on the vehicles youre seriously considering
- Always Arrange to Test-Drive the Car: arrange to meet the seller in person at a safe location preferably at their home address if buying privately, to test-drive a model of the car you’re considering. Make sure you put the car through its paces by driving on a variety of roads and dont just take it for a spin around the block.
- Before you part with your cash, remember to cross reference the VIN with the VRM to ensure they match.
- Paying Online: if you’re buying online, or even just making a deposit, ensure that the website is secure pay with a credit card which will help should the worst happen in the event of fraud.
The HPI Check includes a mileage check against the National Mileage Register as standard, now with over 160 million mileage readings. HPI also confirms whether a vehicle is currently recorded as stolen with the police, has outstanding finance against it or has been written-off, making it the best way for consumers to protect themselves from fraudsters looking to make a fast profit. In addition, the HPI Check offers a 30,000 Guarantee in the event of the information it provides being inaccurate, offering added financial peace of mind to used car buyers.