Avea entered a new phase in year 2005 with the privatization of Turk Telekom, with the successful administrator of mobile telephone sector Cneyt Turktan taking charge of the company and following that Telecom Italia selling its shares. We discussed this era and various subjects with Cneyt Turktan, Chief Executive Officer of Avea:
Mr:Turktan can you evaluate Aveas status today?
Cuneyt Turktan : As the management that came into force after the privatization, we set up a new action plan and selected a more aggressive route. We intensified in 4 targets;
- To complete the infrastructure rapidly both in terms of capacity and coverage area.
- To increase the visibility also with the aid of advertisements
- To universalize the team of dealers and distributors. To head to more central areas of cities in order to ease the access of our customers to our dealers. To increase the visibility of these dealers by using their signboards.
- To train the existing staff, to recruit more employees. To improve and settle the Avea culture in Management.
Till year 2006, in Turkey we saw a market where there was a single operator in other words Turkcell and Turk Telekom and 2 operators not active and under the management of TMSF. The privatization of Turk Telekom and consequently of Avea and the sale of Telsim to Vodafone have changed this. Now when we also count Turkish Telecom we are talking about a market of 4 large operators.
Are we counting Turk Telekom as well?
Cuneyt Turktan : We certainly are. When we mention Turk Telekom sector there are 4 operators; 3 being mobile and 1 immobile. During its life span of 165 years did you ever see Turk Telekom advertise? For the first time it is introducing campaigns, advertising, arranging tariffs, and making packages. In other words Turk Telecom is now joining the competition.
If we continue with Avea. How do you see the market?
Cuneyt Turktan : There are still 10-15 million new customers to win in Turkish Mobile Market. We restructured Avea in year 2006. Starting 2007 we will strengthen our place in the market with new tariffs and campaigns.
AS I mentioned there are 4 operators in the market. 3 are mobile, one being immobile is working on the subjects of services to be offered fixed from homes. All these 4 operators underwent new structuring in year 2006 and entered year 2007 with a great speed in competition. All in order to get these new 10-15 million customers we mentioned.
When we examine the market, a few motivations are valid at the same time.
- Within this frame the aim in Turkish mobile market for the year 2007 became to be the most widespread operator and the operator who gives the best quality service.
The following chapter of this interview will be read at ; Trktan: Aveas Real Advantage the Tariff Structure Which We Call True Price – 2
Turkish translation of this chapter will be read at ; Trktan: Trkiye’de Daha 10-15 Milyon Yeni Mteri potansiyeli Var – 1