- Who Is Legal Computer Forensic Expert? – 1
- Who Is Legal Computer Forensic Expert? – 2
- Who Is Legal Computer Forensic Expert? – 3
A qualified legal computer forensic expert must have the relevant training to comply with the procedure of collection and evaluation of the evidences that set forth in the Criminal and Civil Procedural Law. Contrary to the variable evidences, the electronic evidences emanate totally distinctive and complicated issues for the case pending before the court. The legal computer forensic expert must comply with different standards and protocols or face objections regarding the authenticity of the evidences and challenge with them. The education, past and experience of the expert must be gained in a way that enables him/her to challenge the difficulties and requirements of this investigation which is carried out with taking an oath before the court.
The knowledge of computer forensic trainings, computer analyzing and Civil and Criminal Procedural Law is some of the features that are required for a legal computer forensic expert. Like in many financial analyses, knowing what to look for and where to look at are important criteria in order to be successful in electronic exploration.
After recovering data from the media in an appropriate way, second stage in electronic exploration is to analyze these data. Knowing how to eliminate operating system files and other irrelevant files in an appropriate way is critically important to reduce the expenses and time consumed for the investigation.
Computer Forensic is an Expensive Procedure
Computer forensic is an expensive procedure. Even the simplest computer forensic investigation costs thousands of dollars. This number increases in more complicated investigations. For finding a suitable legal computer forensic expert, necessary actions should be taken promptly. The ones who propose very low fee should be considered carefully. Because it is not possible that good computer forensic service can be provided with a low fee.
Without limitation to the foregoing, it is possible to list the features that required from a legal computer forensic expert:
- Licencing: The expert should be questioned on which certificates he possesses. From Turkish law point of view, when the Draft comes into effect, computer forensic licence is going to be requested from the experts. Certificates of IT security and legal IT expertise licences are different concepts. Because IT security certificates may not have the strict forensic requirements.
- Experience: Technical knowledge on computers and lawsuit experience of the expert should be questioned. What is the expertise level for the computer forensic expertise? Has he/she ever been before the court as an expert or witness?
- Attention: The worst thing that may ever be experienced is that losing the critical evidences of the case due to the legal computer forensic expert’s not retaining the data in time or not finalizing the investigation in time to submit the data in secure format. This will affect the person who has sought assistance from expert with respect to loss of case, time and money.
- Success: It must be ensured that the legal computer forensic IT expert has credible references.
- Method: Which standards, procedures and methods does the legal computer forensic expert use in order to maintain the evidence undamaged?
- Reliable Responsible Person: It must be ensured that legal computer forensic expert provides a confidentiality agreement and accepts to protect your intellectual property. It must be questioned that how the expert will retain and maintain the evidences in a secure way and ensure the protection sequence.
It is important to underline that it is not and cannot be possible to determine a definite answer to the questions of “who the legal computer forensic expert is” and “who the legal computer forensic expert should be”. The number and list of the trainings which are required to be a legal computer forensic expert are not determined. Legal computer forensic expertise is one of the professions that requires “lifetime training” from the expert along with mandatory minimum criteria requirement.
Turkish version of this article is here : Adli Biliim Uzman Kimdir?